Wednesday 1 May 2013

Let Me Move Please!

Students sorting French vocabulary at desks and on carpet
It should come as no surprise that students need to move on a continual basis. I need to remind myself of this often as it is easy to become lazy and issue tasks that are pencil/paper based. However, I have been trying to be more cognizant of this fact on a regular basis this year and am attempting to set up tasks that allow for movement and socialization within them. One type of task that I find myself using over and over includes sorting and matching word or sentence strips. I have been using these a lot with my kids in various subject areas in order to review content. Sometimes I provided the words or sentences and sometimes the kids make them up. The words may be French vocabulary, names of provinces and capitals or science terms. Kids are asked to sometimes match terms, speed sort them or work with a partner collaboratively to complete a task.

Playing a matching game
Working collaboratively to complete a task

Post courtesy of Heather Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment